Tongue Tie Procedure - Frenectomy
At Monahan Dentistry and Implant Center, we understand how frustrating it can be to deal with the effects of tongue tie. The condition can cause a wide range of issues, from difficulty breastfeeding to speech impediments and more. That's why we're dedicated to providing comprehensive information on tongue tie and its treatment options.
If you're looking for answers on tongue tie, you've come to the right place. Shawn Monahan, DDS will cover everything you need to know about tongue tie and how to treat it effectively. Whether you're a new parent or an adult struggling with tongue tie, we're here to help.
What is Tongue Tie?
Tongue tie, or ankyloglossia, is a condition that occurs when the frenulum, the band of tissue that connects the tongue to the bottom of the mouth, is too short or thick. This can restrict the movement of the tongue, causing a range of issues.
Symptoms of Tongue Tie
The symptoms of tongue tie can vary depending on the severity of the condition. Some common symptoms include:
- Difficulty breastfeeding or bottle-feeding
- Speech difficulties, such as trouble pronouncing certain sounds
- Inability to stick out the tongue past the lips
- A notched or heart-shaped tongue tip
- Difficulty licking ice cream or moving the tongue from side to side
- Dental issues, such as a gap between the two front teeth
- Adult snoring and related issues
- Jaw pain
- Chronic neck pain
If you or your child is experiencing any of these symptoms, it's important to talk to Dr. Monahan or a specialist about your options.
Treatment Options for Tongue Tie
There are several treatment options for tongue tie, depending on the severity of the condition. Some of the most common treatment options include:
- Frenectomy: This is a surgical procedure that involves cutting the frenulum to allow for greater tongue movement.
- Exercises: Certain tongue exercises can help strengthen the tongue muscles and improve mobility.
- Myofunctional therapy: This type of therapy involves exercises that help retrain the tongue muscles and improve oral function.
Monahan Dentistry and Implant Center offers a range of treatment options to help patients with tongue tie. Our team of specialists will work with you to determine the best course of action for your unique needs.
Why Choose Monahan Dentistry and Implant Center?
Monahan Dentistry and Implant Center is dedicated to providing the highest quality care for patients with tongue tie. Our team of specialists has years of experience treating patients with this condition, and we use the latest techniques and technology to ensure the best possible outcomes.
In addition to our expertise in tongue tie treatment, we're also committed to providing comprehensive education on this condition. We believe that knowledge is power, and we want our patients to be fully informed about their options.
So if you're struggling with tongue tie, don't hesitate to reach out to us. We're here to help you find the relief you need and get back to living your life to the fullest.