Mesa, AZ | TMJ / TMD Treatment
Monahan Dentistry and Implant Center understands that dealing with TMJ/TMD can be a challenging experience. That's why we're here to offer you the best treatment solutions to help you learn about this condition.
TMJ/TMD, which stands for temporomandibular joint disorder, is a condition that affects the jaw joint and the muscles that control the movement of the jaw. This disorder can cause pain, discomfort, and limited movement of the jaw. If left untreated, it can lead to more severe symptoms such as headaches, earaches, and even tooth loss.
At Monahan Dentistry and Implant Center, we specialize in diagnosing and treating TMJ/TMD. Our team of experts is committed to providing you with the highest quality of care and the most effective treatments available.
Causes of TMJ/TMD
There are several potential causes of TMJ/TMD, including:
- Injury to the jaw joint or surrounding muscles
- Grinding or clenching of the teeth
- Arthritis in the jaw joint
- Stress and tension
Symptoms of TMJ/TMD
The symptoms of TMJ/TMD can vary from person to person, but may include:
- Pain or tenderness in the jaw joint or surrounding muscles
- Limited movement of the jaw
- Clicking, popping, or grating sounds when opening or closing the mouth
- Headaches or earaches
- Facial pain or swelling
- Difficulty chewing or biting
If you experience any of these symptoms, it's essential to seek professional help from Shawn Monahan, DMD who specializes in TMJ/TMD.
Diagnosis of TMJ/TMD
To diagnose TMJ/TMD, our dental experts will perform a thorough examination of your jaw and surrounding muscles. This examination may include:
- Reviewing your medical history and symptoms
- Physical examination of the jaw joint and surrounding muscles
- X-rays or other imaging tests to evaluate the jaw joint
Based on the results of the examination, the team at Monahan Dentistry and Implant Center will work with you to develop an individualized treatment plan.
Treatment of TMJ/TMD
Treatment options for TMJ/TMD may include:
- Lifestyle changes, such as stress reduction and relaxation techniques
- Pain management techniques, such as hot or cold compresses or medication
- Dental devices, such as mouthguards or splints
- Physical therapy or exercises to strengthen the jaw muscles
- Surgery in severe cases
Dr. Monahan will work closely with you to determine the most effective treatment plan for your individual needs.
Visit Monahan Dentistry and Implant Center in Mesa, Arizona
The discomfort and pain associated with TMJ/TMD can be a challenging condition to deal with, but with the right diagnosis and treatment plan, it's possible to manage the symptoms effectively. Monahan Dentistry and Implant Center specializes in TMJ/TMD diagnosis and treatment, and we're committed to providing you with the highest quality of care and the most effective treatments available. Don't let TMJ/TMD control your life – contact us today to schedule an appointment and get the help you need.